rare-users - Re: [RARE-users] ERROR: Permission to rare-freertr/freeRtr-containerlab.git denied to dschmitz2017.

Subject: RARE user and assistance email list

Re: [RARE-users] ERROR: Permission to rare-freertr/freeRtr-containerlab.git denied to dschmitz2017.

  • From: Frédéric LOUI <>
  • To: David Schmitz <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [RARE-users] ERROR: Permission to rare-freertr/freeRtr-containerlab.git denied to dschmitz2017.
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 15:39:49 +0200
  • Dkim-filter: OpenDKIM Filter v2.10.3 zmtaauth03.partage.renater.fr 3F79A800F0

Hi,

For the race condition please look at this:
https://github.com/rare-freertr/freeRtr-containerlab/blob/main/hwdet-init.sh#L18

When launching the lab with containerlab there is a CLAB_INTFS env var
indicating the number of expected interface.

It will help create yours with FoD.
You can create a generic container by testing CLAB_INTFS env VAR but in my
case I just decided to create a specific one.

Frederic

> [...]
> reliably yet, because of a race condition.
>
> It seems the veth end point is just injected/moved into (like "ip link dev
> eth1 set netns ...")
> the container when it is already running.
>
> I have to work on a workaround.
>
> Best Regards
> David
>
> On Mon, 24 Apr 2023, David Schmitz wrote:
>
>> Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 15:04:45 +0200 (CEST)
>> From: David Schmitz <>
>> To: Frédéric LOUI <>
>> Subject: Re: ERROR: Permission to rare-freertr/freeRtr-containerlab.git
>> denied
>> to dschmitz2017.
>> Hi Frédéric,
>>
>> On Mon, 24 Apr 2023, Frédéric LOUI wrote:
>>
>>> Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 14:37:52 +0200
>>> From: Frédéric LOUI <>
>>> To: David Schmitz <>
>>> Subject: Re: ERROR: Permission to rare-freertr/freeRtr-containerlab.git
>>> denied
>>> to dschmitz2017.
>>> Hi David !
>>> If you are OK we can take it at rare-users list.
>>> In that case I’ll you cc the list next time !
>> Ok.
>>
>>> 1- Congrats ! Excellent work !
>>> 2- Not sure what you meant by « excluding eth1 » but I trust your
>>> judgement :-)
>>> (Or you might be thinking of containerlab eth0 management address ?)
>> eth0 container management IP address is initialized by docker/OS in
>> container (dhcp?),
>> and will be changing depending on the other docker containers running on
>> the host
>> and can even change when destroying/deploying the clab.
>>
>> Of course, that is why we agreed on the extra veth link defined
>> in freeRtr-containerlab/lab/005-rare-hello-fod/rtr005.clab.yml
>> fod1:eth1 <-> rtr1:eth3 ,
>> whose endpoint inside the cl1 container is namend eth1.
>> That one is not initialized by the OS (ubuntu in container) nor docker,
>> and so the agreed IP address 10.3.10.3 has to be set by some other means.
>> In fact, now FoD installer/runtime start script has some simple support
>> for it:
>>
>> Check
>> inst/testing/fodexabgp-containerlab1/Dockerfile for
>> ... /opt/install-debian.sh ... --ip-addr-set eth1 10.3.10.3 ...
>>
>> When the container is started,
>> and so /opt/FOD/runfod.sh (CMD) is started inside, that script will also
>> init the eth1 IP address.
>> (Of course something like CMD [ "sh" "-c" "ifconfig eth1 10.3.10.3; exec
>> /opt/FOD/runfod.sh" ]
>> also would be an option, but that looks more dirty to me,
>> especially as the 10.3.10.3 has to match the BGP peer adddress 10.3.10.10,
>> which is also specified in the /opt/install-debian.sh ... command line in
>> inst/testing/fodexabgp-containerlab1/Dockerfile)

>>> You should be able to build
>>> https://github.com/GEANT/FOD/blob/python3/inst/testing/fodexabgp-containerlab1/Dockerfile
>>> Daily for example using GitHub Actions. Seem dig into this during my
>>> 3- IIRC there is using docker CMD or other primitives in order to achieve