rare-users - Re: [RARE-users] [freertr] OSPF + TWAMP questions

Subject: RARE user and assistance email list

Re: [RARE-users] [freertr] OSPF + TWAMP questions

  • From: mc36 <>
  • To: ,
  • Cc: , , Frédéric LOUI <>
  • Subject: Re: [RARE-users] [freertr] OSPF + TWAMP questions
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 23:45:39 +0100

hi,
so in hbone case, we run icinga to monitor the network, and rare/freerouter
have a server called nrpe, which once enabled,
you can easily monitor and alarm if a topology change happens... the config
side is as easy as listing your nodes under
stanza called checks, and having the per node sho ipv4 ospf 100 topo x.x.x.x
command... one can generate this easily
from a script once, then when a topology change happens, one just have to
issue the knob train under the check and then
it retrieves the current, believed to be good topology, and as long as the
network does not change, the check will
return a positive result... at the moment, frederic monitors the geant p4lab
from bud0101 via icina, please see the check
stanzas there... similar result can be achieved if you go the prometheus way
and export all the metrics you find in the show
commands but then you have to deal with the alerting yourself.... i
personally find the icinga/check way more convenient,
because the network node have all the visibility and can bark back a
meaningful message if a topology change happens...
but surely, the prometheus way is also seems doable because if a node/link
disappears then it'll not visible in the prometheus
metric exports anymore in the sensor exports...
br,
cs