rare-users - Re: [RARE-users] [freertr] Discussion of GP4L features for SC23

Subject: RARE user and assistance email list

Re: [RARE-users] [freertr] Discussion of GP4L features for SC23

  • From: mc36 <>
  • To: ,
  • Cc: Frédéric LOUI <>, Harvey Newman <>, Carmen Misa Moreira <>
  • Subject: Re: [RARE-users] [freertr] Discussion of GP4L features for SC23
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 16:16:41 +0100

hi,
i go inline...
br,
cs

On 1/17/23 15:41, wrote:
Hi all,

I d like to thank the RARE/FreeRtr community and specially Frederic Loui for the great work and support on SC22. And I d like also to present some of the plans we have for 2023 and see how we can work with FreeRtr on them.

First for SC23, I d like to make GP4L capable of some kind of closed-loop automation. More specifically we intend to work together with some research groups like Qualcomm G2 and IETF OpenALTO, and provide them visibility information of the GP4L network and provide some API for traffic steering.

sounds cool!

I d like to suggest a call so I can present more details, and I d like to
understand what would be the suggested way to use/implement this features on
RARE/FreeRtr (for P4 devices).

Follows a list of the itens to provide some initial discussion:

1) Topology and Latency: Which is probably available through BGP-LS (collected through IGP + TWAMP). For this information, I found some documentation [1], but I d like some directions on how to peer FreeRtr with an external BGP Speaker, for instance goBGP instance [2].

bgp-ls is well supported in freerouter, the p4lab already have one to
exabgp... frederic can show you the details...

2) Flow statistics (i.e. sFlow or IPFIX/Netflow): Is this kind of data
available on FreeRtr?

yesss, it is... ipv4/6 flow is the knob what you're looking for...

3.1) Traffic Steering (Route/tunel injection API): We are initially
interested in setting polka tunnels remotly, what are the current supported
ways?

i see two paths available.. when one ssh into the box and paste the
configs... alternatively, there is an api to put commands in...
both methods are used by frederic already, he can show you the details...

3.2) Also, we d like to be to steer just some flows, what are the supported matching criterias on a P4 device to steer traffic to polka tunnels? To my knowledge, currently we can only set a match using static routes, so it would steer all flows on a VRF to a given destination [3].

you can use pbr to steer just specific flows if they match an access-list...
carmen in cc is heavily using this... :)

3.3) We also consider as an option to use Segment Routing for steering traffic with either SR-MPLS or SRv6, and using either PCEP or BGP SR Policy to inject router remotly. We ll be using this approach on other platforms like Calico-VPP [4] and SONiC/FRRouting. I believe that right now on P4 SRv6 doesn t support SID lists and SR-MPLS only suports Maximun SID Depth of 1, right? On SONiC, work has been done to support SRv6 uSID [5] to support around 12 hops using only 2 SID Depth 2. This work was done by Intel for Tofino devices.

at the moment the p4 srv6 supports srh with max depth of 1, same as sr-mpls...
we can consider this as a technical demo, feel free to add 2, 3, etc... :)
i personally not too much into the srv6 because the security implications:
as source routing get solved at layer3.5, one have to filter against it at
all of it's as boundaries to not become a free transit provider to others...
:)

4) I expect to be able to create a virtual lab so we can test and provide to
other groups this capabilities, and also to be able to deploy it gradually on
GP4L.

setting up a virtual lab is quite easy with freerouter,
carmen regularly shown us her 10 node lab she created alone! :)

* Also representing GNA-G Data Intensive and AutoGOLE/SENSE Working Groups

[1] http://docs.freertr.org/guides/reference/md/rout-ospf49.tst/
<http://docs.freertr.org/guides/reference/md/rout-ospf49.tst/>

[2] https://github.com/osrg/gobgp <https://github.com/osrg/gobgp>

[3] i.e.: ipv4 route CORE ipv4 route CORE 10.1.20.0 255.255.255.0 30.14.20.1
interface tunnel1420. Where 10.1.20.0/24 and 30.14.20.1 is next hop IP.

[4] https://github.com/netgroup/srv6-calico-vpp-tests
<https://github.com/netgroup/srv6-calico-vpp-tests>

[5] https://github.com/sonic-net/SONiC/blob/master/doc/srv6/SRv6_uSID.md
<https://github.com/sonic-net/SONiC/blob/master/doc/srv6/SRv6_uSID.md>

Regards,

Marcos Schwarz | Gerente de P&D | /R&D Manager/

*/Ger ncia de P&D em Ciberinfraestrutura (GCI) | Cyberinfrastructure R&D
Management/*

*Tel.: +55 (19) 98303-3010 | Teams:
<>*

www.rnp.br <https://www.rnp.br/>

cid:fefa97ac-2f79-4bc6-842e-23dbdb886128

_._,_._,_
Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#983) <https://groups.io/g/freertr/message/983> | Reply To Group <> | Reply To Sender <> | Mute This Topic <https://groups.io/mt/96330875/6006518> | New Topic <https://groups.io/g/freertr/post>