rare-dev - Re: [rare-dev] [freertr] Forced push on rare-nix repo

Subject: Rare project developers

Re: [rare-dev] [freertr] Forced push on rare-nix repo

  • From: Alexander Gall <>
  • To: mc36 <>
  • Cc: Frédéric LOUI <>, "" <>, "" <>, Mohácsi János <>, Visky Balázs <>, Kiss Zoltán <>, Tim Chown <>, Simon Leinen <>, <>
  • Subject: Re: [rare-dev] [freertr] Forced push on rare-nix repo
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2023 15:09:49 +0200

On Tue, 6 Jun 2023 14:32:42 +0200, mc36 <> said:

> i dont think you're right here alex as kifu.gov.hu randomly disables my
> niif.hu account,
> now i asked a friend of mine to gain access to the bitbucket and did the
> clicky-clicked in the _inner_/_privileged_ links...

> all i found diff from my weekend commit (that you force removed seemingly)
> is this:

> https://github.com/rare-freertr/freeRtr/commit/1850cfe4355bc94b27bd44b0b24b3f735a846a82

> nor hundreds of loc, and as i never comment, you just removed your old
> stuff and added some other stuff, dont u?...

You can see that commit here:
https://bitbucket.software.geant.org/projects/RARE/repos/rare-nix/commits/8ea8e3063cc0f805b986e00ff7efef074534eac7

The commit message is hundreds of lines which are completely useless
for anyone but you. Better leave the changelog stuff out in the future.

You can follow the commit history from there:

8ea8e3063cc
440b0e13649
17c2fcc3c5d
b17d8393814
d217b620c69
1bb079d2624

Where as the history before your forced push of 8ea8e3063cc was (and
is again now)

73fde00452d
2a8ef2ec647
4041cdfeb04
33f1886c9af
34a3f211562
4f1f42d6c7c
f189461000a
01084142db0
20d7cebfd0f
1bb079d2624

Thus, your commit has eliminated all commits after 1bb079d2624.

> tbh my weeekend tests ran fine with and without them.... and as you still
> not booted up new core sw of my at all,

> i cannot test this all on a real box....

> and finally, auto-commits yesss as you're also auto-everything with your
> nix builds dont you????

I never do automated commits (the only exception ever is the profile
optimization stuff). In the case here (updating the versions of
freerouter and the rare repo) it can be tolerated, I guess. Automated
commits with actual code (like in the rare and freerouter repos) is an
absolute no-go to me. You simply use git as a versioned filesystem,
not a version control system.

> and last but not the least, no forced push (see $subj$), all the repos i do
> commit to have the proper update*.sh...

> no force flags in them at all, and as they're running on fresh vms no local
> git config at all...

Then how do you explain this push history
(https://bitbucket.software.geant.org/projects/RARE/repos/rare-nix/push-log):

Push date Pushed by From To Action
Yesterday Alexander Gall 8ea8e3063cc 73fde00452d FORCED PUSH
2 days ago Máté Csaba 73fde00452d 8ea8e3063cc FORCED PUSH
24 Apr 2023 Alexander Gall 2a8ef2ec647 73fde00452d PUSH

There is no doubt that 8ea8e3063cc was applied with "push --force"
(what I did myself to bring the repo back to 73fde00452d).

--
Alex