rare-dev - Re: [rare-dev] RARE CPE code compilation on Tofino

Subject: Rare project developers

Re: [rare-dev] RARE CPE code compilation on Tofino

  • From: Frédéric LOUI <>
  • To: Mingyuan Zang <>
  • Cc: Henrik Wessing <>, , , Alexander Gall <>
  • Subject: Re: [rare-dev] RARE CPE code compilation on Tofino
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 16:20:55 +0100
  • Dkim-filter: OpenDKIM Filter v2.10.3 zmtaauth03.partage.renater.fr C006880162

+ adding rare-users and rare-dev as the answer might be of interest for the
others

> could you please send us the link/post you mentioned to configure the SDE
> VM?
https://wiki.geant.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=148084243

This is a bit outdated, but this will give you a rough idea about how to
start RARE/freeRtr and bf_switch

> For the hardware machine running the VM, could you please repeat the
> parameters you would suggest?
> Besides the 64G RAM, what would you recommend for CPU, HDD, OS, ...?
1- 4 vCPU
2- 8G bare minimum but 16G should be fine. If you have plenty of RAM and plan
to mutualise this VM with multiple students 32G/64G is good.
3- 50G of storage is sufficient. I’m not sure but SDE full installation with
p4studio, If I’m not mistaken can takes 8G.
If you plan to have any single SDE version installed, please consider to
more storage.
Maybe, Alex’s SDE-shell will take less as everything will comes from a
binary cache.

4- If you are using Nixpkg RARE/freeRtr build, any linux should be OK. But we
mostly tested with Debian stable.
Therefore I would just recommend Debian stable :)

> p.s. I was also wondering whether I could share the RARE/freeRtr
> information with a group at University of Oxford?

You can certainly share all RARE/freeRtr information with anyone. (Apart
everything related to NDA)

> I was formerly a visitor to this group led by Prof. Noa Zilberman, and
> they are also working a lot on P4 research and education with Intel Tofino.
> Perhaps it will help RARE spread its influence?

Sure, it is really up to you. I recommend to subscribe to rare-users and
rare-dev mailing list.

> In the event that I am allowed to share the information, which link/repo
> would you recommend I share?

All of our material/work is public.
rare.freertr.org
blog.freertr.org
docs.freertr.org

And obviously Csaba’s freeRtr home page.
www.freertr.org

There is also a RARE/freeRtr Discord server, IRC #freertr @ Hackint and
Twitter (https://twitter.com/rare_freerouter)

Last bit not least, please consider start your development with Alex’s
excellent SDE-shell here.
(Assuming that you have all NDA related matters taken care of, it should make
gain a lot of time)

https://github.com/alexandergall/bf-sde-nixpkgs

Alex’s jewel basically let you transform any Linux into a INTEL TOFINO dev
environment
whether with ASIC such as Wedge 100BF 32X or virtual model as you have
learnt during INTEL training class. (Which I recommend for your students)
He is is trying to have SDE Nixpkg up to date by following tightly INTEL SDE
release (as of now SDE 9.12.x)

I’m using it personally as a dev environment and just even forget how to
install SDE with p4studio ( ~ 45 minutes … :-) )
Assuming you have Nixpkg already installed, Installing SDE with his package
is really easy (almost one line, or maybe or two ...)

But, pay attention that you must have signed NDA with INTEL and also provide
SDE tarball.

> Le 17 févr. 2023 à 11:43, Mingyuan Zang <> a écrit :
>
> Hi Frederic,
>
> Thank you so much for today's sync meeting! Based on our discussion, could
> you please send us the link/post you mentioned to configure the SDE VM?
>
> For the hardware machine running the VM, could you please repeat the
> parameters you would suggest? Besides the 64G RAM, what would you recommend
> for CPU, HDD, OS, ...?
>
> p.s. I was also wondering whether I could share the RARE/freeRtr
> information with a group at University of Oxford? I was formerly a visitor
> to this group led by Prof. Noa Zilberman, and they are also working a lot
> on P4 research and education with Intel Tofino. Perhaps it will help RARE
> spread its influence?
>
> In the event that I am allowed to share the information, which link/repo
> would you recommend I share?
>
> Many thanks!
>

> Best Regards,
> Ming

  • Re: [rare-dev] RARE CPE code compilation on Tofino, Frédéric LOUI, 02/17/2023