rare-dev - Re: [rare-dev] any chance to bump jdk version to 21?

Subject: Rare project developers

Re: [rare-dev] any chance to bump jdk version to 21?

  • From: mc36 <>
  • To: , Alexander Gall <>
  • Subject: Re: [rare-dev] any chance to bump jdk version to 21?
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 09:45:47 +0100

hi,

On 2/14/23 09:33, Alexander Gall wrote:

I'm not familiar with the JDK Nix package (looks kind of non-trivial)
and 21 is not even in unstable yet AFAICT. Maybe once that happens I
can try to backport it.

well, compiling openjdk is a bit tricky, once i had to do it, and it involved
some
mercurial black-magic so let's then postpone this for now until it arrives to
nix-next.... :)

[..]

That would be cool but it would be a bit of a marketing figure, given
that we're nowhere near a full table on Tofino ;) Not sure how
relevant it would be on the other data planes.

on tofino1 we're not too far from it: so we have a 210k lpm table and niifi
bgp could be compressed to 250k without
default route, and some-ten-thousand if i accept the default from our primary
peering router with ebgp to geant and level3...

dpdk have no upper limit on the tables, but such a table will bump the cpu
data cache
misses so it'll will reduce performance when nmaping 0.0.0.0/0 with
randomization...

also worth mentioning that this compression takes about 15 seconds on the
server p4lang's
exporter thread which reduces reaction time to changes if a prefix flaps
heavily... :)

br,
cs