rare-dev - Re: [rare-dev] [freertr] [RARE-users] Using freeRtr for monitoring fiber optics

Subject: Rare project developers

Re: [rare-dev] [freertr] [RARE-users] Using freeRtr for monitoring fiber optics

  • From: mc36 <>
  • To: , , , , Frédéric LOUI <>
  • Subject: Re: [rare-dev] [freertr] [RARE-users] Using freeRtr for monitoring fiber optics
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 03:21:09 +0100

hi,
thanks for the question, so it's a pretty big topic...
first we should define that what is fiber in your terminology... :)

so in the enterprise world, you have just a lambda and you have the
monitorable optical plugs...
freerouter have already support for reading counters from dataplane, for
example this:

nas#show p4lang p4 port-counters sdn2
category value
ipackets 5071083
opackets 4991489
ibytes 1106913957
obytes 3001846420
imissed 0
ierrors 0
oerrors 0
nombuf 0
rx_good_packets 5071083
tx_good_packets 4991489
rx_good_bytes 1106913957
tx_good_bytes 3001846420
rx_missed_errors 0
rx_errors 0
tx_errors 0
rx_mbuf_allocation_errors 0
rx_q0_packets 5071083
rx_q0_bytes 1106913957
rx_q0_errors 0
tx_q0_packets 4991489
tx_q0_bytes 3001665244
rx_crc_errors 0
rx_illegal_byte_errors 0
rx_error_bytes 0
mac_local_errors 0
mac_remote_errors 0
rx_length_errors 0
tx_xon_packets 0
rx_xon_packets 0
tx_xoff_packets 0
rx_xoff_packets 0
rx_size_64_packets 205594
rx_size_65_to_127_packets 1978027
rx_size_128_to_255_packets 1955418
rx_size_256_to_511_packets 616234
rx_size_512_to_1023_packets 84473
rx_size_1024_to_max_packets 231337
rx_broadcast_packets 210455
rx_multicast_packets 674889
rx_fragment_errors 0
rx_undersize_errors 0
rx_oversize_errors 0
rx_jabber_errors 0
rx_management_packets 0
rx_management_dropped 0
tx_management_packets 0
rx_total_packets 5071087
rx_total_bytes 1106914469
tx_total_packets 4991490
tx_size_64_packets 85700
tx_size_65_to_127_packets 1510121
tx_size_128_to_255_packets 1251238
tx_size_256_to_511_packets 127938
tx_size_512_to_1023_packets 48220
tx_size_1024_to_max_packets 1968273
tx_multicast_packets 178337
tx_broadcast_packets 1462
rx_mac_short_packet_dropped 0
rx_l3_l4_xsum_error 0
flow_director_added_filters 0
flow_director_removed_filters 0
flow_director_filter_add_errors 0
flow_director_filter_remove_errors 0
flow_director_matched_filters 0
flow_director_missed_filters 0
rx_fcoe_crc_errors 0
rx_fcoe_dropped 0
rx_fcoe_mbuf_allocation_errors 0
rx_fcoe_packets 0
tx_fcoe_packets 0
rx_fcoe_bytes 0
tx_fcoe_bytes 0
rx_fcoe_no_direct_data_placement 0
rx_fcoe_no_direct_data_placement_ext_buff 0
tx_flow_control_xon_packets 0
rx_flow_control_xon_packets 0
tx_flow_control_xoff_packets 0
rx_flow_control_xoff_packets 0
rx_total_missed_packets 0
out_pkts_untagged 4991490
out_pkts_encrypted 0
out_pkts_protected 0
out_octets_encrypted 0
out_octets_protected 0
in_pkts_untagged 0
in_pkts_badtag 0
in_pkts_nosci 0
in_pkts_unknownsci 0
in_octets_decrypted 0
in_octets_validated 0
in_pkts_unchecked 0
in_pkts_delayed 0
in_pkts_late 0
in_pkts_ok 0
in_pkts_invalid 0
in_pkts_notvalid 0
in_pkts_unusedsa 0
in_pkts_notusingsa 0
rx_priority0_mbuf_allocation_errors 0
rx_priority1_mbuf_allocation_errors 0
rx_priority2_mbuf_allocation_errors 0
rx_priority3_mbuf_allocation_errors 0
rx_priority4_mbuf_allocation_errors 0
rx_priority5_mbuf_allocation_errors 0
rx_priority6_mbuf_allocation_errors 0
rx_priority7_mbuf_allocation_errors 0
rx_priority0_dropped 0
rx_priority1_dropped 0
rx_priority2_dropped 0
rx_priority3_dropped 0
rx_priority4_dropped 0
rx_priority5_dropped 0
rx_priority6_dropped 0
rx_priority7_dropped 0
rx_priority0_xon_packets 0
rx_priority1_xon_packets 0
rx_priority2_xon_packets 0
rx_priority3_xon_packets 0
rx_priority4_xon_packets 0
rx_priority5_xon_packets 0
rx_priority6_xon_packets 0
rx_priority7_xon_packets 0
rx_priority0_xoff_packets 0
rx_priority1_xoff_packets 0
rx_priority2_xoff_packets 0
rx_priority3_xoff_packets 0
rx_priority4_xoff_packets 0
rx_priority5_xoff_packets 0
rx_priority6_xoff_packets 0
rx_priority7_xoff_packets 0
tx_priority0_xon_packets 0
tx_priority1_xon_packets 0
tx_priority2_xon_packets 0
tx_priority3_xon_packets 0
tx_priority4_xon_packets 0
tx_priority5_xon_packets 0
tx_priority6_xon_packets 0
tx_priority7_xon_packets 0
tx_priority0_xoff_packets 0
tx_priority1_xoff_packets 0
tx_priority2_xoff_packets 0
tx_priority3_xoff_packets 0
tx_priority4_xoff_packets 0
tx_priority5_xoff_packets 0
tx_priority6_xoff_packets 0
tx_priority7_xoff_packets 0
tx_priority0_xon_to_xoff_packets 0
tx_priority1_xon_to_xoff_packets 0
tx_priority2_xon_to_xoff_packets 0
tx_priority3_xon_to_xoff_packets 0
tx_priority4_xon_to_xoff_packets 0
tx_priority5_xon_to_xoff_packets 0
tx_priority6_xon_to_xoff_packets 0
tx_priority7_xon_to_xoff_packets 0

nas#

is produced by this:
https://github.com/rare-freertr/freeRtr/blob/master/misc/native/p4emu_dpdk.c#L64

unfortunately dpdk does not support yet these readings natively, and the
tofino bfrtpy also lacks them...

but in the telco, fiber means mostly layer1 passive optical networks with
some passive amplifiers in every 50km...
the technology called dwdm, or the fully passive (and least used) cwdm...
this is a completely different wavelength multiplexing stuff:
http://fun.nop.hu/cats-dwdm.jpg
this is usually a completely different team in a telco who deals with layer1
and layer3...

there are several rfcs about integrating dwdm into the router world, this
called gmpls...
for these to work in freerouter, one have to invest into tunable pluggables
and a decent dwdm network capable of doing gmpls alone...
afterwards tofino have to have support for tunable optics, and finally
someone have to produce a switch with huuge power supplies
to be able to power up a fully populated box... these optics consume 5-10x
times the regular ones! seriously, cisco have special
slots where you can insert these... afterwards, we can start experimenting,
but that part will be easier, gmpls uses isis or ospf
under the hood, and having a dissector for these lsa/lsps is pretty easy:
https://github.com/rare-freertr/freeRtr/blob/master/src/net/freertr/rtr/rtrIsisDump.java#L15

br,
cs