rare-dev - [rare-dev] Using freeRtr for monitoring fiber optics

Subject: Rare project developers

[rare-dev] Using freeRtr for monitoring fiber optics

  • From: Gabriel Tetzner <>
  • To: , , mc36 <>, Frédéric LOUI <>
  • Subject: [rare-dev] Using freeRtr for monitoring fiber optics
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 22:26:35 -0300

Hi all,
How are you,

As you know I am participating in the RENaaS project, but in parallel I am in another new project by RNP (National Research Network) - GT-OnE! :

"The project aims to provide continuous supervision of optical plants customized for the niche of campus and metropolitan networks, allowing the identification of optical commodities to extract various physical layer information from the optical plant, taking advantage of large amounts of monitored data and machine learning. "

With this intent to present a solution for monitoring optical fiber at the physical layer, that is, there from the layer underneath : ), the idea of the project is to have controllers talking to devices that are in the cloud, mainly because they will expose all the metrics to the cloud that will be managing the monitoring service, for this I need to know if these freeRtr services, such as SNMP, or another monitoring protocol would be able to meet the demands of many metrics of the physical layer, for example, This communication between the controllers and the cloud devices could be done using eth or wi-fi, so I want to launch the idea of using freeRtr as one of the monitoring software, and integrate with the IoT part and controllers/microcontrollers, and if this is possible, I also need tips on what physical equipment would be ideal for freeRtr to receive these fiber monitoring metrics (I know GÉANT has a fiber monitoring project or something like that).

The idea in the end is to present a single monitoring solution for the fiber, I think that would be a giant contribution to freeRtr, especially regarding the monitoring service.

Best Regards,
Gabriel Tetzner Menegueti