rare-dev - Re: [rare-dev] Exception when deleting a subinterface in p4lang

Subject: Rare project developers

Re: [rare-dev] Exception when deleting a subinterface in p4lang

  • From: Alexander Gall <>
  • To: <>
  • Cc: <>
  • Subject: Re: [rare-dev] Exception when deleting a subinterface in p4lang
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 18:14:07 +0100

Hi

On Tue, 15 Mar 2022 15:32:17 +0100, mc36 <> said:

> hi,
> On 3/15/22 14:59, Alexander Gall wrote:
>> On Tue, 15 Mar 2022 14:21:57 +0100, mc36 <> said:
>>
>>> right now, imho the forwarder could blindly follow the commands....
>>
>> I see. It makes sense to stick to that principle. Then we accept that
>> freerouter may need to be aware of certain restrictions that apply
>> when updating certain elements in the data plane. E.g. it may have to
>> make sure that messages are sent in a particular order.
>>
> okkk then, let's do this...

>>> state id 0/1 is just to shut/noshut
>>> port_add/del/mod id speed etc... are only sent on (no) export-port, or
>>> change in the parameters...
>>> that is, these messages should add/remove from the ports table in
>>> tofino...
>>> in the case of change, you get the mod, in case of no export, you
>>> get the del, in case of freshly added port, you get the add
>>
>> Ok.
>>
>>> ... if you wish, i can dissect the mod to a del followed by an
>>> add...
>>
>> Yes, I think that would put us on the safe side in case some changes
>> can't be made unless some other condition holds (like changig FEC
>> requires the port to be disabled).
>>
> okk, then i'll get rid of port_mod, and do the
> state0/port_del/port_add/state1 stanza....

This is implemented in
https://bitbucket.software.geant.org/projects/RARE/repos/rare/commits/c521bc30726811365e9499c0b9af74ff373b743e

I also merged bf_ifstatus into bf_ifcounter to have all port-related
stuff done inside threads in a single module:
https://bitbucket.software.geant.org/projects/RARE/repos/rare/commits/9915becad9e809a69a27404081107b282f265f61

I hope I didn't break anything. If I did, I'll fix it tomorrow :)

--
Alex