rare-dev - Re: [rare-dev] freeRouter rpms for CentOS and Fedora

Subject: Rare project developers

Re: [rare-dev] freeRouter rpms for CentOS and Fedora

  • From: mc36 <>
  • To:
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [rare-dev] freeRouter rpms for CentOS and Fedora
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 16:03:45 +0100

hi,

thank you so much for the effort you put into this work! i just added you to
the http://www.freertr.net/greet.html in return... :)
if you would display a domain near your name, or don't like the idea at all
to being listed there, just let me know...

just taken a look on the repos, the fedora34 natives started (after creating
the missing symlink to libpcap.so.1:))
on my debian sid and forwarding works fine in p4emu and pcapint, the two main
components needed for a dataplane...
also taken a look on the jar, that one also works fine, but please use the
name rtr.jar instead, if possible...

regarding the compilation issues, well, both xdp and dpdk are hot topics and
heavily changing...

the null definition for xdp dataplane, i see the following:
this one comes from bpf_helpers.h of libbpf-dev nowadays...
in buster, it came from the kernel sources directly....
in bullseye, it's 0.3 and does not include the NULL macro...
in bookworm, it's 0.5 and have the macro, and seems fine...

regarding dpdk21.11, at the moment it's in the experimental repo in debian,
and also does not compile here... the jumbo initialization changed a bit,
and they deprecated the vlan_strip indicator, which we badly try to disable
during the initialization... it's not the first time they break backward
compatibility in the api, and i also saw the openssl3 changes so to keep
the sources clean, i'll start creating patches for various versions of the
libs we link against.... at the moment please keep linking to dpdk20,
and consider subscribing to the mailing lists to get notified about
the change, which basically will happen when debian moves dpdk21 to sid...

if you use the provided c.sh 'build system' then you'll have nothing
to do, it'll apply the patches according to the detected lib versions...

regards,
cs