edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Assessment of Slovenia / safeID

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Assessment of Slovenia / safeID

  • From: Martin Stanislav <ms AT uakom.sk>
  • To: Chris Phillips <Chris.Phillips AT canarie.ca>
  • Cc: Terry Smith <t.smith AT aaf.edu.au>, "edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org" <edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org>
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Assessment of Slovenia / safeID
  • Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2019 16:46:54 +0100

On Thu, Nov 07, 2019 at 04:51:27AM +0000, Chris Phillips wrote:
> Hi Terry and others.
>

> It’s good to see the latest content being used for MRPS and leveraging the
> SUNET tech profile.  I do have a question or two though..
>

> Section 3 of the SafeID technology profile[1] has:
>

> All identity providers (home organizations and attribute authorities) MUST
> fulfll the SAML V2.0 Interoperability Deployment Profle [3].
> All service providers SHOULD fulfll the SAML 2.0 Interoperability
> Deployment Profle [3].
>

> Where [3] is http://saml2int.org/
>

> Are you sure about the MUST statement around  *ALL* of saml2int.org for
> IDPs?

Peter's comment on how the reference to saml2int has made it into
the fed WebSSO technology profile is correct. But it's my mistake
I haven't amended the text on later edits (and the delayed joining
process itself as well). We'll change the profile and point to eduGAIN
SAML Profile as Pål has suggested as that's what matters in the interfed
context (and up the tech profile version to 1.1).

> While it sounds good and maybe early on safeID has the opportunity to
> insist IdPs comply with this it may be challenging given how forward
> looking saml2int.org is.

Yes, indeed. Going through the SAML2int 2.0 detail, demanding
it in full is very likely to raise the bar too high.

> SUNET’s latest tech profile[2] may be a good middle ground and uses a
> SHOULD there and aligning would be much easier and guide IdPs to the right
> direction overall.

Thanks for the guidance. SHOULD will be fine here.

Martin