edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Assessment of Slovakia / safeID

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Assessment of Slovakia / safeID

  • From: Martin Stanislav <ms AT uakom.sk>
  • To: Terry Smith <t.smith AT aaf.edu.au>
  • Cc: edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Assessment of Slovakia / safeID
  • Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2019 16:25:19 +0100

Hi Terry,

Thanks a lot for reading the MRPS, your comments & suggestions,
matching the moved sections and pointing the missing parts
of the template.

I'll comment inline (trying) to address all your comments
and not to skip over any. The changes are reflected
in the amended version of the MRPS version 1.1 replacing v1.0.
It's also available directly at:

https://www.safeid.sk/doc/safeID-Metadata-Registration-Practice-Statement-1.1.pdf

On Thu, Nov 07, 2019 at 03:18:19PM +1000, Terry Smith wrote:

> Section 2 Introduction and Applicability, paragraph 2, second sentence is
> missing...
>
> This document SHALL be published on the Federation website at:
> http://www.safeid.sk. Updates to the documentation SHALL be accurately
> reflected in entity metadata.

Thanks. Section 2, paragraph 2, the second sentence is now included.

> Note: The URL you have provided is that of the Federation website. A reader
> needs to navigate around to find the actual document. I would prefer to see
> the URL to the actual document or at least to your policy page where I can
> easily find the document.

Thanks for pointing out the convenience. The URL in the MRPS v1.1
redirects a reader to the policy section.

> Section 2 Introduction and Applicability, paragraph 3 is missing...
>
> An entity that does not include a reference to a registration policy MUST
> be assumed to have been registered under an historic, undocumented
> registration practice regime. Requests to re-evaluate a given entity
> against a current MRPS MAY be made to the Federation helpdesk.

Thanks. Section 2, paragraph 3 is now included.

> Section 3 Member Eligibility and Ownership, paragraph 1 is missing...
>
> Members of the Federation are eligible to make use of the Federation
> Operator’s registry to register entities. Registration requests from other
> sources SHALL NOT be accepted.

Section 3, paragraph 1 is now included (forgot to get it back once
the rest of the policy text settled on requiring fed membership for
all roles).

> Note: The URL in the sentence "The procedure for becoming a member of the
> Federation is documented at http://www.safeid.sk"; is again to the
> Federation site. I think a link to "How to connect" -
> https://www.safeid.sk/doku.php?id=join would be much better,

As above, thanks for spotting the issue. The URL is now redirecting
a reader to the relevant section on the web.

> Section 3 Member Eligibility and Ownership, paragraph 3, second sentence
> is missing.
>
> The membership procedure verifies that the prospective member has legal
> capacity, and requires that all members enter into a contractual
> relationship with the Federation Operator by agreeing to the Federation
> policy. The Operator makes checks based on the legal name provided. The
> checks are conducted with a number of official databases (provide
> examples).
>
> Note: Example of official database should also be provided.

Section 3, paragraph 3 is now included with examples of online
databases & registers typically used in the local environment.

> Section 3 Member Eligibility and Ownership, paragraph 5, second sentence
> is missing.
>
> The process also establishes a canonical name for the Federation member.
> The canonical name of a member MAY change during the membership period, for
> example as a result of corporate name changes or mergers. The member’s
> canonical name is disclosed in the entity’s SAML v2.0 <md:OrganizationName>
> element [SAML-Metadata-OS].
>
> Note: These has been moved to Section 5.1 SAML Entity Validation.

I've moved some paragraphs trying to contain the (SAML) details into
a separate section. I'm not sure I've managed to do so right
and also how much the readability has suffered.

> Section 5.1 SAML Entity Validation, does not provide information about the
> process by which a member can register an entity...
>
> The process by which a Federation member can register an entity is
> described at <url>.

The information about the process by which a member can register
en entity is now in the section 4. Entity Management.

> Section 6 has been merged into section 4 which is fine as all of the
> content has moved.

Terry, thanks again for your thorough reading.

Martin & Peter