edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN ingestion filters -- are there any?

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN ingestion filters -- are there any?

  • From: Kristof Bajnok <bajnokk AT niif.hu>
  • To: Chris Phillips <Chris.Phillips AT canarie.ca>, "edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org" <edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org>
  • Cc: "edugain-ot AT lists.geant.org" <edugain-ot AT lists.geant.org>
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN ingestion filters -- are there any?
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 16:54:12 +0200

Hi Chris,

On 2016/07/15 16:28, Chris Phillips wrote:
> A few days ago there was an entity that had a .local domain suffix which
> is a non traditional one and some federations had conversation about it
> and it was eventually removed by the origin federation (we assume).
>
> Is there a working page that one can refer to that covers the inbound
> filtering that goes on (maybe on the eduGAIN wiki?) ?
>
> As participant federations we know reasonably quickly when something is
> caught but knowing the filtering process steps would be helpful.
>
> Questions bouncing around are:
> Are domains that appear on the RFC2606[1] reserved list allowed into
> eduGAIN?
> Is .local also filtered now?

in my opinion the eduGAIN OT is not free to implement filtering in the
aggregator, it is bound to enforce eduGAIN policy only. In current
eduGAIN policy there is nothing (I know of) that imposes any
restrictions about the domains.

While I agree that the filtering policy in the aggregator (if there's
any) shall be fully transparent, I think it should rigorously follow the
policy. But as far as I can remember, Tomasz wrote that eduGAIN
aggregator made a go/no-go decision about the incoming feeds, it didn't
change the contents.

On the other hand the federations themselves are free to filter eduGAIN
entities, however these rules should be as transparent as possible.

And there should be some eduGAIN rules regarding the domains, yes.

Kristof