edugain-discuss - [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN ingestion filters -- are there any?

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

[eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN ingestion filters -- are there any?

  • From: Chris Phillips <Chris.Phillips AT canarie.ca>
  • To: "edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org" <edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org>
  • Cc: "edugain-ot AT lists.geant.org" <edugain-ot AT lists.geant.org>
  • Subject: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN ingestion filters -- are there any?
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 14:28:33 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Hi,

A few days ago there was an entity that had a .local domain suffix which is a non traditional one and some federations had conversation about it and it was eventually removed by the origin federation (we assume).

Is there a working page that one can refer to that covers the inbound filtering that goes on (maybe on the eduGAIN wiki?) ?

As participant federations we know reasonably quickly when something is caught but knowing the filtering process steps would be helpful.

Questions bouncing around are:
Are domains that appear on the RFC2606[1] reserved list allowed into eduGAIN?
Is .local also filtered now?

While .local is not on that RFC, it's on RFC6762[2]. Wikipedia shows it bleeds out to root servers pretty significantly[2] and yet not routable.

Thanks.

[1] <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2606>
[2] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6762
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.local see Global DNS Queries section.