edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Test/dev IdPs in eduGAIN metadata

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Test/dev IdPs in eduGAIN metadata

  • From: Tom Scavo <trscavo AT internet2.edu>
  • To: Olivier Salaün <olivier.salaun AT renater.fr>
  • Cc: "edugain-discuss AT geant.net" <edugain-discuss AT geant.net>
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Test/dev IdPs in eduGAIN metadata
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 09:59:21 -0400

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 9:41 AM, Olivier Salaün
<olivier.salaun AT renater.fr> wrote:

> Maybe you missed the first part of my email.

No, I didn't miss it :-)

> I'm concerned about non production IdPs published in eduGAIN metadata.

Yes, I know, but that's not "hide-from-discovery," which is something
else altogether.

We could drill down on what you mean by "non production IdP" but this
probably isn't the mailing list for that. It's one of those proverbial
"rat holes," I'm afraid.

> As a matter of fact some of these IdPs are tagged as "hide-from-discovery".
> It makes me think that the registering federation identified that these are
> not production IdPs, but still published these SAML entities in their
> eduGAIN upstream file.

Just because some of the IdPs tagged as "hide-from-discovery" appear
to be "test IdPs" doesn't mean all of them are. At least in my
federation, the B2B use case I spoke of earlier is quite common. In
the end, I expect almost half of our IdPs to be tagged
"hide-from-discovery" but that doesn't mean they won't be exported to
eduGAIN.

> The B2B use case is sound like a legitimate for "hide-from-discovery"
> tagging. I'm more puzzled when it comes to Test IdPs...

Yes, I understand what you're saying, but when you use phrases like
"non production IdP" and "test IdP," I think you're trying to express
a discomfort about something else altogether. I claim it doesn't have
anything to do with the "hide-from-discovery" category (which is the
only point I'm trying to make).

Tom