edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] opt-out federations promoting opt-out

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] opt-out federations promoting opt-out

  • From: Ian Young <ian AT iay.org.uk>
  • To: Glenn Wearen <glenn.wearen AT heanet.ie>
  • Cc: edugain-discuss AT geant.net
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] opt-out federations promoting opt-out
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 14:35:12 +0000

> On 28 Nov 2014, at 13:49, Glenn Wearen <glenn.wearen AT heanet.ie> wrote:
>
> Take for example Newcastle University, it has exposed 100 entities, most of
> which are used by Newcastle only.

I'm not saying you're wrong (I suspect you're right) but I'd be interested to
hear how you know that to be the case. Newcastle don't tell us which entities
are Newcastle-only, and we don't try to guess.

Newcastle were an early and enthusiastic adopter of federated identity, long
before there were really any tools available to help with local metadata
management. We used to joke that the UK federation was really the "federation
of Cal (Racey)" in the early days. So I'm sure that it was true then that
Newcastle registered entities with the UKf in the early days that they really
didn't need to, because that simplified their adoption process.

There are only a few other institutions in the UKf where you might be
likewise suspicious, and most of those are down to being national data
centres and the like (i.e., legitimately running services for the community).
It isn't a widespread practice.

-- Ian