edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] [refeds] mari plan & next steps

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] [refeds] mari plan & next steps

  • From: Jaime Pérez Crespo <jaime.perez AT uninett.no>
  • To: REFEDS <refeds AT terena.org>
  • Cc: "edugain-discuss AT geant.net" <edugain-discuss AT geant.net>
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] [refeds] mari plan & next steps
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 18:21:02 +0100
On 29 Oct 2014, at 17:39 pm, Peter Schober <peter.schober AT univie.ac.at> wrote:
> * Leif Johansson <leifj AT sunet.se> [2014-10-29 17:34]:
>> If R&S specifies releasing eduPersonScopedAffiliation and FEIDE doesn't
>> have that attribute, how will including it in a bundle help FEIDE?
>
> That's probably my point: It won't help FEIDE per se, it would force
> FEIDE to align its practices with the spec IFF they wanted to be able
> to apply to (SPs) or support (IDPs) REFEDS R&S.

And that’s an entirely different problem. First of all I should say that the
problem is not that Feide doesn’t have eduPersonScopedAffiliation. We do
indeed. Nor it’s that we don’t want to release it. We’re glad to do it. The
problem is that most of our institutions don’t have that attribute in their
directories, so it’s not that we don’t have it or we don’t want to release
it, but: most users don’t have such information.

That given, how exactly would that force Feide to align its practices with
the spec? It reminds me of a different discussion I had last week regarding
the CoCo. You could say Feide willingly aligns with the spec, but since Feide
is not the holder of the attributes… If we are “forced” to align, what does
that mean? Should we go to each and every institution out there and threaten
them to kick them out of Feide if they don’t include
eduPersonScopedAffiliation and schacHomeOrganization for all their users?
Should we do that then even for those users/institutions where sHO, for
instance, doesn’t have any semantics and cannot actually have any value?

--
Jaime Pérez
UNINETT / Feide

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one less traveled by, and
that has made all the difference."
- Robert Frost