edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Entity category support attribute for Data Protection CoCo?

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Entity category support attribute for Data Protection CoCo?

  • From: Mikael Linden <mikael.linden AT csc.fi>
  • To: "Niels van Dijk" <niels.vandijk AT surfnet.nl>, <edugain-discuss AT geant.net>
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] Entity category support attribute for Data Protection CoCo?
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 13:38:31 +0300 (EEST)

>Well that was basically my point: The current way Mikeal described
>it, the COC IdP is not requirering automatic attribute release, while
>I would indeed argue that is the whole idea. I would think therefor
>that the CoC on IdP site shoudl suggest automagical attribute release.

The intention is automatic release.

> "An Identity Provider supports the R&S Category if, for some subset
> of the Identity Provider's user population, the Identity Provider
> releases a minimal subset of the R&S attribute bundle to R&S Service
> Providers without administrative involvement, either automatically
> or subject to user consent."

Let's give a try:
"An Identity Provider supports the Code of Conduct category if the
Identity Provider releases the requested attributes to a Code of Conduct
committed Service Provider without administrative involvement."

>From R&S I would drop
- subset of user population (not relevant here?)
- automatically or on user consent (the CoCo does not control the IdP
behavior)

>But I think we are by no means done with the CoC SP work. We
>now have the means to actually do the CoC, which is a great
>achievement. Now we (a.k. federations) need to educate IdPs and SPs.

I very much agree and I have signaled to the upcoming GN4 and
EINFRA-7-2014 proposals that training should be organized on the CoCo.

IMO, the scalable approach is
- the project trains the federation operators, including provides training
material
- the federation operators localize the material and organise the training
for the IdP and SP admins in their federation.

Cheers,
mikael