edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] RENATER moving to eduGAIN opt-out for IdPs

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] RENATER moving to eduGAIN opt-out for IdPs

  • From: Olivier Salaün <olivier.salaun AT renater.fr>
  • To: edugain-discuss AT geant.net
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] RENATER moving to eduGAIN opt-out for IdPs
  • Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 16:29:34 +0100

Thank you for the useful feedback, Lukas.
See below

Le 19/02/14 15:32, Lukas Hämmerle a écrit :
5304C073.3070202 AT switch.ch">
Hello Olivier

Find some comments inline.
[...]
ON the other end:

    the attribute release issues remains until IdPs use the attribute filters we will provide
Do you have an idea how many IdPs use the filters RENATER provides (percentage)?
When we started providing these Shibboleth attribute filters <https://services-federation.renater.fr/renater/filtres/> many IdP admins were reluctant to use them. Therefore we changed our federation technical framework <https://services.renater.fr/federation/en/technical-framework#using_automatic_attributes_filters> to make the use of automatic attribute filters mandatory for the national services.

I guess today around 90% of our IdPs configure our automatic attribute filters.

5304C073.3070202 AT switch.ch">
    we end up mixing national and international SPs in our national metadata file.
What you could consider is introducing an inner EntitiesDescriptor
element (allows to easier creating attribute filters that apply to all
eduGAIN entities) or to provide another metadata file with
French-entities only.
I would opt for the second option. This again, would require admins who
would like to opt-out to become active.
That you for sharing these options.
Both are interesting, but the second one is probably easier to understand by IdP admins.

--

Olivier Salaün

GIP RENATER
Etudes et Projets Applicatifs (EPA)