edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] RENATER moving to eduGAIN opt-out for IdPs

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] RENATER moving to eduGAIN opt-out for IdPs

  • From: Lukas Hämmerle <lukas.haemmerle AT switch.ch>
  • To: edugain-discuss AT geant.net
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] RENATER moving to eduGAIN opt-out for IdPs
  • Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 15:53:31 +0100

On 19.02.14 15:32, Lukas Hämmerle wrote:
>> > We would also include eduGAIN SPs metadata into our federation
>> > metadata file (renater-metadata.xml).
> There might be a risk for SPs that are not properly authenticating
> federated users. Having an Apache rule like:
>
> AuthType Shibboleth
> ShibRequestSetting requireSession true
> require valid-user
>
> will also allow all eduGAIN users to access a service. This of course
> might be intended and in general shouldn't cause problems but it
> probably might be wise to announce this properly on your federation
> mailing list in advance with the hint how to change the authorisation
> rules to allow only FER users on a service (maybe using a SupAnn attribute).

I have to correct myself :-)
Including metadata of the eduGAIN SPs in the FER metadata of course
should not be an issue because these SPs already should be prepared to
accept eduGAIN users.

The scenario I described above is the case where the French SPs also
would be exposed to eduGAIN by adding their metadata to the eduGAIN
metadata.

Best Regards
Lukas

--