edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] IdPs in multiple federations: not listed on all configured powerdisco tabs

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] IdPs in multiple federations: not listed on all configured powerdisco tabs

  • From: Peter Schober <peter.schober AT univie.ac.at>
  • To: edugain-discuss AT geant.net
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] IdPs in multiple federations: not listed on all configured powerdisco tabs
  • Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 12:34:39 +0100

* Ian Young <ian AT iay.org.uk> [2013-12-05 12:27]:
> That aside, I don't think the general case -- which is what you
> would need to address the sort of issue Dick is facing -- is
> soluble. I could be wrong, of course, but the way to demonstrate
> that would be to show me an algorithm. This is not the first time
> "just merge them" has been proposed as a solution to this problem,
> but I've never seen anything more specific proposed.

Just to clarify: What do you both mean with "merging"? Personally I
read Leif's "merge" to mean what I said before (pick one
EntityDescriptor over the other, e.g. based on its source).

>From the above I have the impression Ian's "merge" actually means
"combine the content of several EntityDescriptors into a single
EntityDescriptor", which I would agree sounds like a recipe for
unpredictale behaviour and failure modes.
-peter