edugain-discuss - Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN validator

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN validator

  • From: Ian Young <ian AT iay.org.uk>
  • To: Peter Schober <peter.schober AT univie.ac.at>
  • Cc: edugain-discuss AT geant.net
  • Subject: Re: [eduGAIN-discuss] eduGAIN validator
  • Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 14:46:35 +0100

On 25 Oct 2013, at 12:10, Peter Schober <peter.schober AT univie.ac.at> wrote:

> Currently there are only 5 out of 222 entities with such keys, so
> changes to those 5 entities within the remaining months of the year
> seem very much doable

Only if there is some pressure applied, I’d expect. People — even people
you’d expect to take this kind of thing seriously — often find it hard to
prioritise something that doesn’t actually stop their service from working. I
brought this issue up with at least one of the entity deployers some months
ago, with no result.

> if that is what you're in fact saying.

I don’t think it is, at this point. I think it is a discussion we should be
having, though. I’ve mentioned elsewhere that whatever eduGAIN does in this
area, the UKf will be filtering those entities out after the end of the year.
But eduGAIN having a common policy is obviously a much more powerful signal
than just saying that the UKf has one.

-- Ian