edugain-discuss - [eduGAIN-discuss] edugain validator

edugain-discuss AT lists.geant.org

Subject: An open discussion list for topics related to the eduGAIN interfederation service.

[eduGAIN-discuss] edugain validator

  • From: Janusz Ulanowski <janusz.ulanowski AT heanet.ie>
  • To: edugain-discuss AT geant.net
  • Subject: [eduGAIN-discuss] edugain validator
  • Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2013 13:24:17 +0100

Hi,
I'm going to implement in our ResourceRegistry3 some kind of validator.
Our RR3 supports multi/interfederation thing. so what I want to achive:
I want to define minimum requirements for federation candidates to be met. For instance:
IDP_X which is member of Edugate want to join Edugain.
right now there is simple form "join federation" and then we as operators just approve it. I would like add validator which will be run transparently and and call internal_process or external validator and raises warning or doesn't allow to join if metadata is not valid against Edugain or other Federation's requirements.

It would be very use full if there would be another URL for Edugain Validator which could accept POST containing providers's metadata and validate it.
And as response could be simple xml with return code + message
example:
<xml>
<returncode>0</returncode>
<message>some details</message>
</xml>

example return codes:
0 - valid
1 - warning but OK
2 - invalid

+ message with details if code 1,2

It would be very clear for candidates what they need to add/change before joining

--
Janusz Ulanowski
Edugate: http://www.edugate.ie

tel: +353-1-660 9040 fax: +353-1-660 3666
web: http://www.heanet.ie/