cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] Too many Logins

Re: [[cat-users]] Too many Logins

  • From: Martin Pauly <pauly AT hrz.uni-marburg.de>
  • To: cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] Too many Logins
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 18:12:45 +0100

Hi Catherine,

I think there is misunderstanding: There no "blocking of multiple usernames at
different institutions".
You can have any number of eduroam-valid accounts simultaneously and use them
at will.
Every eduroam login is forwarded to the institution identified by the
username part after the @, called the realm.
Although it looks like an email address (and often is the same string), it
isn't one technically.
From the ETHZ profile, one can see that they use ethz.ch as their realm,
here's the snippet:
<ClientSideCredential>
<OuterIdentity>anonymous AT ethz.ch</OuterIdentity>
</ClientSideCredential>

In most cases, this is nailed down by using the respective tools from
cat.eduroam.org.
The big exception to this is Windows, it always derives the realm to use from
the user input(!)
So if you have Windows, give celliot AT ethz.ch a try.
If you have something else, too (e.g. smartphone), try that first, using the
tool from cat.eduroam.org.
If it works, you will at least know that your password is OK.
Else ask their support.

Cheers, Martin