cat-users - [[cat-users]] Deakin university adding proxy to prevent non-Deakin students using eduroam

[[cat-users]] Deakin university adding proxy to prevent non-Deakin students using eduroam

  • From: Lachie Mcmillan <lachiemcmillan AT gmail.com>
  • To: cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: [[cat-users]] Deakin university adding proxy to prevent non-Deakin students using eduroam
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 13:38:00 +1100

To whom it may concern,

I understand eduroam is a useful service for students to access wifi at institutions other than their own.

I believe Deakin University, specifically the Burwood campus in Melbourne, Australia is in breach of this ethos. I am unable to connect to their eduroam wifi as I attend a different university and they have set up a proxy that must be used to access the wifi, rather than using the eduroam wifi directly. The proxy only allows students with Deakin email domains to connect.

It would be very useful to connect to eduroam at Deakin as I live across the road and almost 30 minutes drive from my university so I thought I'd bring this to your attention.

Kind regards,

Lachlan McMillan

  • [[cat-users]] Deakin university adding proxy to prevent non-Deakin students using eduroam, Lachie Mcmillan, 10/10/2022