cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] help with failing realm check

Re: [[cat-users]] help with failing realm check

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: Zenon Mousmoulas <zmousm AT noc.grnet.gr>, cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] help with failing realm check
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2021 14:49:28 +0100

Oh,

it actually IS forbidden to have the same names and still wanting a cert to be part of a validation chain:

RFC 5280, section 4.1.2.4:

"If the names in the issuer and subject field in a
   certificate match according to the rules specified in Section 7.1,
   then the certificate is self-issued."

In essence, the certificate says it is self-signed, while the CAT profile is told to have the supplicant construct a path to a different CA with the same name.

I'm not surprised that this creates issues in the auth process. And only mildly sad that our code wasn't anticipating this kind of pathological corner case.

Greetings,

Stefan