cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] Radius certificate length and faq

Re: [[cat-users]] Radius certificate length and faq

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] Radius certificate length and faq
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 11:29:55 +0200

Hello,

as Paul has already answered extensively: our current advice regarding CAs, certificate properties, key lengths etc. is on this page:

https://wiki.geant.org/display/H2eduroam/EAP+Server+Certificate+considerations

As Paul mentions the landscape of pros and cons is shifting as devices and their OSes change (I would say "evolve" but it isn't always a step in the right direction ;-) ) so some of the arguments in that page need to be re-weighted. Still, if you read all that to the end, then you can make an informed decision.

Personally, I think people often underestimate how hard it is properly run a private CA long-term and securely, so the final advice on the page "if you know what you are doing, then use a private CA" should more often lead to using a public CA than it actually does.