cat-users - [[cat-users]] Discontinuing Android 4-7 support / eduroamCAT app altogether?

[[cat-users]] Discontinuing Android 4-7 support / eduroamCAT app altogether?

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: "cat-users AT lists.geant.org" <cat-users AT lists.geant.org>
  • Subject: [[cat-users]] Discontinuing Android 4-7 support / eduroamCAT app altogether?
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 09:10:16 +0200

Hello,

as you may be aware of, eduroam CAT has a support policy: we support
installers for OSes as long as their manufacturer supports the OS itself.

There is also a "grace period" in that we continue to serve installers
even beyond the manufacturer EOL so long as the installers do not need
significant amounts of work as the CAT product evolves.

We've dropped XP and Vista at earlier occasions because of that (EOLed
&& code changes would be needed going forward).

We've recently received two bug reports on the eduroamCAT app (more
details at the end) and that led me to review the EOL situation for
Android. The best I found was the Wikipedia article:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history#Overview which
suggests that 8.1 is the oldest version of Android AOSP that is still
receiving updates (at least in principle; whether or not concrete vendor
builds still pick up any fixes and roll them out on real hardware is
another question). If anyone has more official statements from AOSP
themselves on their version support policy, please enlighten us.

The bug report would need code changes in the eduroamCAT app to address
properly. Publishing a code change in Play Store would require the app
to target Android API level 30, which would require even more code changes.

At the same time, the geteduroam app doesn't suffer from that particular
bug, supports anything Android 8+ (i.e. all the major versions still
receiving security updates) and can subsume all the functionality of
eduroamCAT on those versions.

All this suggests that the best course of action might be to complete
the jump from eduroamCAT to geteduroam entirely - remove the download
buttons for Android <8 from the CAT web interface, suggest the use of
geteduroam for all remaining versions (i.e. for 8 to 10 in addition to
the already suggested 11).

Depending on how significant we believe the bug to be, maybe we could
even consider removing eduroamCAT from the Play Store altogether to
prevent accidental usage.

I know that discontinuing old versions is always a controversial topic,
and particularly so for Android where ancient versions tend to live much
longer than one might hope. Hence this mail, to open a discussion. If
you have strong feelings about old Android versions, please reply to
this mail.

Bug report summary: the eduroamCAT app uses an API call that performs
substring matching on the expected server name (on the Subject/CN
certificate property). This was the only way and best practice on
Android <6, but on Android 6+ it could have switched to a better API
call (with the side-effect of working against the subjectAltName:DNS
property instead). The old API call has a worse security posture than
the new one: if the EAP server certificate comes from a public CA, an
attacker can get himself a certificate where the expected name is in the
middle of the name string. The app would consider the server name valid
even if it ends in an attacker-controlled suffix. Since our eduroam
setup instructions on the Wiki suggest the use of a private CA, this is
a non-issue for those IdPs following this suggestion; but for those IdPs
which do not follow best practice suggestions, the issue has some relevance.