cat-users - RE: [[cat-users]] eduroam and certificates

RE: [[cat-users]] eduroam and certificates

  • From: Patrick Oberli <patrick.oberli AT ost.ch>
  • To: "cat-users AT lists.geant.org" <cat-users AT lists.geant.org>
  • Subject: RE: [[cat-users]] eduroam and certificates
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 07:09:12 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-CH, de-CH, en-US
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=ost.ch; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=ost.ch; dkim=pass header.d=ost.ch; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-SenderADCheck; bh=vEX5J6y6maPe7NP3CLhq3NCO4/4XzS0D3V1cJvrPx6Q=; b=IFG9O1MFARwdFiQhY2V8vL0R/8J9dAQZkyoKAOA1zMx/pwexuX9f9REFDUVfp+zJF73RdD4sDQE+FVpr9dLcTd2N6jWJOgoDX6BCgwvA6I4FnoY8F3LJuEsOrAA8Rb8gE9pctYyZZvD89BbKCeWRSr+p9KFheYJb9/2qHDbYHWw9SS17Y4SrQKpHEcfSMM24hvA/w80bxdsjsoclPIDEyo6WsayzHbpOUq9eLp9RZSxNITJLF/9UM3tpF/7Y8oZhfLMubQu1JXkxoHj61QilWHSn/u3I45F2MSxPqX3WYWH+LckHcqxmnZb51lwJdPKKjBmc+gFLuGgVX+WIC9nZyg==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=cgmiR3JysQmluXNybsYMQnvbCtcuwpZMSa+OosOjjdNt4a483bsQ3xzUL9RogpWr/kd+aFKmf6icACwoQpDKO0/ehS68avm72fXno7pyz8at/IyiTdePjWIH1ZlqoC9OzAZBvLD85S9G59Hb5w2ssiVXHW7cBeBrdL313Qet0z4Qd4R0bxkXMZhCZK5y6sYZ+Lzv/8Iakk3sPwAFBjDZ1dWdSru2TGPALozyKo0HAt2I42k+sYYOUa6SIqMwTYf1zCiZz9ENwCM0ETn/sSTzBh7Qr+c9eAoLpReOnOt8aHFkAEUOp0h3TK9L1P4MWKFysQEFkfkYECviOFJuzU2GHg==

Thank you for your answers.

> Yes, Android allows you to specify "Use system certificates" as what to
> validate against - so in that case, changing the root from one public CA to
> another would still work.

> Patrick, did you have this set on your phone?
I did. But the interesting part is, the old one was not even from a public
CA, but our own internal CA (which I have trusted on my mobile phone for
testing). So I assume that is the reason why Android 11 silently accepted the
new certificate. I hope I didn't overlook anything in my testing, it wasn't
really scientifically done.

But what I've learned so far, this is one area in Wi-Fi which is still after
many years very complicated, not standardized (the behavior) and fairly
badly/complicated documented.

Regards,
Patrick

Freundliche Grüsse

ICT - IT-Infrastructure
Netzwerk- und Multimediateam
Patrick Oberli

Tel direkt: +41 58 257 4958
Email: patrick.oberli AT ost.ch

OST – Ostschweizer Fachhochschule
ICT Information & Communication Technology | Oberseestrasse 10 | 8640
Rapperswil | Switzerland | https://www.ost.ch

OST – Ostschweizer Fachhochschule ist der Zusammenschluss aus HSR Rapperswil,
FHS St.Gallen und NTB Buchs.