cat-users - RE: [[cat-users]] eduroam and certificates

RE: [[cat-users]] eduroam and certificates

  • From: Patrick Oberli <patrick.oberli AT ost.ch>
  • To: Martin Pauly <pauly AT hrz.uni-marburg.de>, "cat-users AT lists.geant.org" <cat-users AT lists.geant.org>
  • Subject: RE: [[cat-users]] eduroam and certificates
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 14:17:10 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-CH, de-CH, en-US
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=ost.ch; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=ost.ch; dkim=pass header.d=ost.ch; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-SenderADCheck; bh=Vo8AEY127ZYP9sfrdv73MG5qq5v4/N8bdYtaZd8qAJE=; b=VkdzxML7xHApdChPiZ8oNCPzXd1wfK14BhOktxc/GtY0kvm4fX8gT2rapnfL0jSBj3qCB3fC9K0oE+roy1dvd5/ZZinzmaheaCVZjumDqPLWNUE2Zh9k99+oInSoFEpbrN66ACGwEEcbhE/dtyMbH06rW2r9R5shmxJYils2XzjhCx7ASrrtOAwLHFP3k9K23FmJFO2R9scZ1z1sAtgoir3d5npaQgxv+oe7/W483Ff6KXBdPnJ2607A7LOtEMxMgp9i6uuy03Qm7IYvdRj16azSozZcqFGvO7fROyNobqPBDnOLnXmWyQYbqWbx2J/xzrhmmtTNo4jw0n3MLQV3tQ==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=apwX6joSRMPWlGE7VyU8pFNramhhY9v+wFG7SZM1JieEWvfYlZMR0fIXL5LcdV7x4tndGpf9wUsn8Y4uheZGI2aVCj8lC7zKpW1QgVerjK1ykdS0/P0Ts5iKJwyIPGltia75ib57yx2jzHzQy1XN1ixhlizw7pA2tvldjjSpKZ5Nr/Ub/HYZGAakKIaMjiqHbXBIOMNjKLCFnYy9aFh98fj8IN6YmvpkweNRhzsaywbsjrWy14z8rS/sjSfLQWpEDdxzevTCT+3vdgdzyVbqpVpadIA73CUKfRLfu1j+bOoNa94Sn5FY5R9AKOPJDwZuTOXc2GPDbldh8IfBx2UUtw==

Hi Martin

Thanks for your elaborate answer.
Currently my eduroam setup is the classic WPA2-Enterprise with PEAP MSCHAPv2
username+password variant. So far I've always used the exactly same
certificate on all radius servers, but our CA is giving us a hard time
offering the same certificate for multiple servers.

But I didn't realize that the client doesn't actually validate the content of
the certificate (the server names provided) besides checking if it's always
the same one and maybe from a trusted CA. That makes things considerably
easier :)
Please correct me if I misunderstood your answer.

Thanks,
Patrick

Freundliche Grüsse

ICT - IT-Infrastructure
Netzwerk- und Multimediateam
Patrick Oberli

Tel direkt: +41 58 257 4958
Email: patrick.oberli AT ost.ch

OST - Ostschweizer Fachhochschule
ICT Information & Communication Technology | Oberseestrasse 10 | 8640
Rapperswil | Switzerland | https://www.ost.ch

OST - Ostschweizer Fachhochschule ist der Zusammenschluss aus HSR Rapperswil,
FHS St.Gallen und NTB Buchs.