cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] Specific CatInstaller for Android11 with EAP-TTLS

Re: [[cat-users]] Specific CatInstaller for Android11 with EAP-TTLS

  • From: Roberto Flor <flor AT fbk.eu>
  • To: Thorsten Fritsch <thorsten.fritsch AT unibas.ch>
  • Cc: "cat-users AT lists.geant.org" <cat-users AT lists.geant.org>, Philipp Petermann <philipp.petermann AT unibas.ch>, Joachim Wiget <joachim.wiget AT unibas.ch>, Beate Deiss <beate.deiss AT unibas.ch>
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] Specific CatInstaller for Android11 with EAP-TTLS
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 16:29:31 +0200

I had the same issue in January, first  with Google Pixel devices and next with Samsung devices.
After googling around I found that In December 2020, the  Android 11 QPR1 security disabled the ability to select “Do not validate” for the “CA Certificate” dropdown in network settings for a given SSID and changed the supplicant behaviour.
Note that the changes are in the WPA3 specification, not in Android documentation. This implies that the same issue could be shown up  for other operating systems in the future as the wpa3  spread around.
See https://www.wi-fi.org/download.php?file=/sites/default/files/private/WPA3_Specification_v3.0.pdf    Chapter 5.

Merging multiple answers I was able to fix  the problem and keep PEAP authentication on Android 11. I had to :
  1.   change the radius server certificate, modifying the freeradius server certificate generation to add the new wpa3 extension and the server SAN
  2.   use the new geteduroam app to install the eduroam configuration, manual configuration is quite complex and unstable
On already configured devices ( Android 11 or older, Windows, Mac)  everything works, since I kept the same ca/key combination.

Roberto Flor