cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] Android 11 Samsung Galaxy Note 20

Re: [[cat-users]] Android 11 Samsung Galaxy Note 20

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: Eleanor Coultish <eleanor.coultish AT york.ac.uk>, cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] Android 11 Samsung Galaxy Note 20
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2021 13:12:48 +0100

Hello Eleanor,

thanks for getting in touch.

Looking at your University of York CAT profile, I see that you are using QuoVadis roots with the "QuoVadis Global SSL ICA G3" intermediate. You are probably aware of the revocation of an intermediate with that name by QuoVadis and their re-issue of an intermediate with the identical name but different fingerprint. https://community.jisc.ac.uk/groups/certificate-service/article/quovadis-intermediate-revoke-update

The reason why I think you're aware is because you have uploaded the new, correct variant of the intermediate with SHA1 fingerprint D4:66:18:CA:00:5D:4F:F3:7F:3B:14:00:93:D5:81:E0:63:CA:5A:E4 to CAT. Good!

Your RADIUS server also sends exclusively the new variant of the intermediate in its chain. Even better!

The only possible reason why cert validation might fail would be if something on those specific devices is interfering. Maybe the devices ship with the old variant of the intermediate still included in their trust store? The device might then get confused when seeing two "identical" certificates, both successfully leading to a root, but one revoked and one not.

TBH, that's about the only thing I can imagine going wrong. Especially when this happens only on one particular brand/version combination.

I'd be very interested in hearing from you if there is anything to be found in the device trust stores regarding this...