cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] New root certificate issue ?

Re: [[cat-users]] New root certificate issue ?

  • From: Tomasz Wolniewicz <twoln AT umk.pl>
  • To: cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] New root certificate issue ?
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2021 17:55:45 +0100
  • Dkim-filter: OpenDKIM Filter v2.11.0 outgoing.umk.pl EC6BE2008C

The trust is based on two factors the root CA certificate and the CN of
the server certificate. If either of these needs to be changed you are
forced to reinstall.  This is why many institutions decide to their own
CA and be in full control over server certificates. The downside of this
solution is that the installer is required to add the local root
certificate to the client certificate store. This sometimes requires
special privileges.

Cheers

Tomasz Wolniewicz

--
Tomasz Wolniewicz
twoln AT umk.pl http://www.home.umk.pl/~twoln

Uniwersteckie Centrum Informatyczne Information&Communication Technology
Centre
Uniwersytet Mikolaja Kopernika Nicolaus Copernicus University,
pl. Rapackiego 1, Torun pl. Rapackiego 1, Torun, Poland
tel: +48-56-611-2750 tel kom.: +48-693-032-576