cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] Commercial certs expiration

Re: [[cat-users]] Commercial certs expiration

  • From: Tomasz Wolniewicz <twoln AT umk.pl>
  • To: cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] Commercial certs expiration
  • Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2020 15:45:08 +0100

CAT does two things: it installs the certificates you have posted to CAT (if required, on Windows it will not install certificates that are already in the store) and it sets the trusted root CA to point to yours. Therefore all that matters is that the supplicant on user's device is able to verify the received server certificate against the trusted root.

If you make sure that your RADIUS server always sends the server cert and the intermediate cert than in principle you do not need to push the intermediate to CAT. I said "in principle" since I believe that there is a fault OS that might complain.

If the intermediate gets changed then you just need to add this to your RADIUS server and all should work just fine, as the validation of your server cert against the root should work. Hopefully by 2024 there will be no faulty OSes out there any more.

Yours

Tomasz