cat-users - [[cat-users]] Commercial certs expiration

[[cat-users]] Commercial certs expiration

  • From: Ricardo Stella <stella AT rider.edu>
  • To: cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: [[cat-users]] Commercial certs expiration
  • Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2020 09:22:22 -0500

Quick question here.

Although we understand the preferred method is to use a private CA to issue the certificate, we are looking at this time to implement Eduroam with a commercial cert (InCommon).

In the tool, my understanding is that I will install both the USERTrust Root (new one expiring in 2038), and the intermediate InCommon which expires in 2024. I can then renew my radius one every year, without problems.

Until 2024, correct? At that time, I would have to create and distribute a new version of the tool to users so they get the new intermediate cert. I don't think I can simply install the root only right?

Just presenting the pros/cons up the line regarding using a private CA vs a commercial cert

Thanks in advance - Ricardo.

--