cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] Weird profile being installed for eduroam under Windows 10

Re: [[cat-users]] Weird profile being installed for eduroam under Windows 10

  • From: Hunter Fuller <hf0002 AT uah.edu>
  • To: Tomasz Wolniewicz <twoln AT umk.pl>
  • Cc: cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] Weird profile being installed for eduroam under Windows 10
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2020 13:53:56 -0600

Thanks Tomasz, my replies are inline.

On Thu, Jan 2, 2020 at 1:49 PM Tomasz Wolniewicz <twoln AT umk.pl> wrote:
> this is the new CAT feature. The eduroam profile is now installed under
> the profile name of "eduroam®". netsh fpr some reason does not print the
> name properly and shows it as eduroamR. You can delete the profile by
> giving it the real name or by using the Windows WiFi settings GUI and
> forgeting selected profiles from there.

Pasting the trademark character does not work either, I get the same message.

PS C:\Users\hf0002> netsh wlan delete profile name="eduroam® via Passpoint"
Profile "eduroamr via Passpoint" is not found on any interface.

Also, the Windows Wi-Fi settings GUI seems to have been removed. I
remember there was something we could use in Explorer to delete
wireless networks, but in the latest Windows 10 update this is gone.

If I forget the network using the notification area icon instead, the
Passpoint profile remains.

> The wifi selection GUI should show eduroam as eduroam®.

The selection from the notification area still shows "eduroam" which
is also the SSID we are broadcasting.

> The "eduroam® via Passpoint" profile is a Hotspot 2.0 profile which gets
> installed in anticipation of the time when we may have partner operators
> who would be willing to carry eduroam traffic but do not want to broadcast
> the eduroam SSID. Such operators would just need to broadcast the eduroam
> Hotspot 2.0 identifier and this second profile will recognise it and
> attempt connection. All authentication would still go the same way, i.e.
> via the home IdP, therefore all security will be preserved. Still we
> decided that it should be signalled to the user that this is eduroam
> partner network and not the native eduroam one and the profile name is the
> way to do that.

I think I understand. Does this mean that this profile is a harmless
supplement to the "eduroam" profile and should not affect the
connection? If so, I won't worry about it, although I'd really rather
prefer that we could delete it, for a true clean reinstall of CAT.