cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] Eduroam on Chrome Book

Re: [[cat-users]] Eduroam on Chrome Book

  • From: Martin Pauly <pauly AT hrz.uni-marburg.de>
  • To: cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] Eduroam on Chrome Book
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 10:05:19 +0200

Hi,

Am 26.08.19 um 23:05 schrieb Hunter Fuller:
Unfortunately Google's interface for importing the file is just
terrible. But it does work.
unfortunately, not with all devices that call themselves Chromebook.
I've had three of the kind here in the last year, and the ONC import
worked on one of them. On the second device, we configured WiFi eduroam
manually, but I remember a buggy dialogue, there was no consistent
information about the root cert to compare a server cert to.

The third device was harder as it needed wired eduroam.
(LAN adapter fully functional behind a commodity DSL router).
It neither worked with the ONC file nor with the dialog.
Despite the presence of all settings, the device never
emitted any 802.1X packet. The user being pretty experienced
in that case, she put the device into developer mode.
As root, we created a config file and fired up
wpa_supplicant manually. The user successfully worked with this
setting for some months.

Conclusion: There's not only a terrible config import interface
in ChromeOS, but lots of buggy code when it comes to the network
configuration dialogs. It's all open source though, but I have
no idea whether Google would really bother to integrate any
patches into their upstream code. We sent a detailed complaint through
the ChromOS feedback form, but neither the user nor me received andy reply.

Martin

--
Dr. Martin Pauly Phone: +49-6421-28-23527
HRZ Univ. Marburg Fax: +49-6421-28-26994