cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] eduroam without androidCAT

Re: [[cat-users]] eduroam without androidCAT

  • From: Martin Pauly <pauly AT hrz.uni-marburg.de>
  • To: cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] eduroam without androidCAT
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2019 10:04:56 +0200

Hi Michael,

I have been fighting this app for a good hour now. It has it all: a
horribly broken interface, an impressive amount of typos, random
crashes. But apart from this, it simply does not work. Is there any
way of not using this horrendous App when connecting an
Android-device to eduroam?

you might indeed have run into a temprorary problem. Provided that
cat.eduroam.org
is up and running (and UdS provides a correct profile), their are still issues
with certain android versions and devices. I've seen it fail utterly on a
Samsung X4,
for instance. That said, it has helped hundreds of users get their device
configured.
The horrible part has been Google's handling of 802.1X connection for a
decade (up to
and including Android 6): All libraries an certs on board, but almost no
sensible way
for the user to access them. Instead Android naively connects to everything
that claims
to be eduroam WITHOUT even asking the user, thus delivering the user's
password to an
attacker's fake eduroam. This is called the Evil Twin attack and this why an
urgent
need for an app like this had aroused in the first place.

But you can configure your device manually. On
https://www.hiz-saarland.de/dienste/wlan/
There is a link "Android (ohne CAT-Tool)" pointing to
https://www.hiz-saarland.de/fileadmin/user_upload/dienste/wlan/Android.pdf
Technically they are doing the same thing as most German Universities these
days
(forced by expiration of the old root cert on July 10). So you could e.g.
also follow
https://www.uni-marburg.de/hrz/internet/wlan/anleitungen/android-manuell
and simply replace students.uni-marburg.de with uni-saarland.de everywhere.

If you send them a mail for support, it is a good idea to include your MAC
address.
This enables serious debugging if necessary (which I doubt).

Cheers, Martin

--
Dr. Martin Pauly Phone: +49-6421-28-23527
HRZ Univ. Marburg Fax: +49-6421-28-26994