cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] Minor issues of CAT 2.0

Re: [[cat-users]] Minor issues of CAT 2.0

  • From: Tomasz Wolniewicz <twoln AT umk.pl>
  • To: cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] Minor issues of CAT 2.0
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2018 09:27:46 +0100

Hi,

W dniu 30.11.2018 o 09:17, Stefan Winter pisze:
> Hello,
>
>> I added a new profile for NRO Japan on CAT 2.0 and found the following
>> minor issues.
> Thanks for using CAT!
>
>> - The new profile is a shared one for a sort of IdP hosting service in
>> Japan. So I'd like to remove location information. A location
>> information is initially added in the "General Information", and it can
>> be removed. But it will be revived after addition of another Identity
>> Provider Name, and I have to remove again after that.
> The location information is actually rather useful - users who are in
> physical vicinity to an IdP with known location will be shown this IdP
> first in the list, making it more probable that they find their IdP
> without having to search long lists.
>
> And it is possible to add more than one coordinate pair. If your
> meta-IdP services multiple organisations in multiple locations, I
> suggest to add all those locations. You can add locations one at a time,
> each time you edit the general institution properties.
It could also be argued that for global services location information is
hard to maintain, and not really useful to put in every single town.
Indeed we did not think of the case when no location information should
be present, if none is provided we pick a point that is prompted to the
country, it is the "centre' of the country.
As you observed, you can remove it but in the next edit it will be
filled again. I guess we should not save anything unless the user
actually does something like search for the address or drag the pointer.
It think that this would be a useful change and should easy to implement.
>> - I cannot choose a language locale JA for an Identity Provider Name.
>> The name I entered before CAT 2.0 is shown as "unsupported language"...
Stefan has explained the reason,  we only support adding language
variants for languages that are supported by the whole system. It could
be argued that this is wrong. Perhaps we could allow the interface to
run in English but use Japanese strings for admin-supplied values, I can
see arguments both for and against such approach.

Tomasz

--
Tomasz Wolniewicz
twoln AT umk.pl http://www.home.umk.pl/~twoln

Uczelniane Centrum Informatyczne Information&Communication Technology Centre
Uniwersytet Mikolaja Kopernika Nicolaus Copernicus University,
pl. Rapackiego 1, Torun pl. Rapackiego 1, Torun, Poland
tel: +48-56-611-2750 fax: +48-56-622-1850 tel kom.: +48-693-032-576