cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] SSID for eduroam in 5 Ghz only

Re: [[cat-users]] SSID for eduroam in 5 Ghz only

  • From: Steffen Klemer <klemer AT dfn.de>
  • To: cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Cc: Per Mejdal Rasmussen <pmr AT its.aau.dk>
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] SSID for eduroam in 5 Ghz only
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 11:44:03 +0100

> > It is not a good idea to change the default eduroam SSID to another
> > combination. With that, users who visit your organization will not
> > be able to connect automatically.
>
> I intent to make an extra SSID. the "eduroam" SSID will not be
> changed, and still work on both 2.5 and 5 Ghz.

The eduroam Policy Service Definition tells us that:

"
Wireless NASs MUST deploy the SSID "eduroam" and MUST broadcast the
SSID "eduroam", unless there is more than one eduroam SP at the same
physical location and the signal overlap would create operational
problems, in which case an SSID starting with "eduroam-" MAY be used.
"

So your chosen name of eduroam-5GHz is at least policy conformal.

It's not very user friendly though and I would first try *very* hard to
get my WiFi behaving correctly; perhaps introducing band steering or
deactivating some of the 2.4GHz radios to reduce overlap in this band
or or or. But this depends very much on the capabilities of your
equipment.

But about the specific use case:

> Sometimes you want to force a device to only use 5 Ghz. This is not
> possible in for example macOS. Therefore I would like to make an SSID
> which only works on 5 Ghz.

This would only work if you don't configure 'eduroam' but only
'eduroam-5ghz' in the problematic macOS devices. Then these device
wouldn't connect at other places besides your campus. AFAIK you can't
prioritize SSIDs in macOS.

Steffen

--
DFN-Verein Steffen Klemer