cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] Minimise inconveniences when freeradius's CA changes

Re: [[cat-users]] Minimise inconveniences when freeradius's CA changes

  • From: Daniele Albrizio <albrizio AT units.it>
  • To: Francesco Malvezzi <francesco.malvezzi AT unimore.it>, cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] Minimise inconveniences when freeradius's CA changes
  • Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 11:55:12 +0100

On 19/02/2018 10:58, Francesco Malvezzi wrote:
Hi all,

I'm in need to change the freeradius' certificate and the issuing CA.

I would like to minimise users' inconveniences: what is the suggested path to
handle this event?

For example: wanting to avoid users to download CAT all together, might it
work adding newer CA (not yet in use) to CAT profile already now?

thank you,

Francesco
To unsubscribe, send this message:
mailto:sympa AT lists.geant.org?subject=unsubscribe%20cat-users
Or use the following link: https://lists.geant.org/sympa/sigrequest/cat-users

Hi,
I don't think there is a smooth migration path, nevertheless I can tell you the steps we did in order to ease the passage.

1. Create a CAT profile for Android devices using old certificates (AFAIK Android does not accept multiple CAs in a network profile. Maybe latest releases do?)

1a. Create a default profile including both CA chains (Seems that intermediate CA alone should be the way but I used the full CA chain since I did not have time to check each device-type compatibility)

1b. Let a year pass (suggestion)

2. Notice all android users about the date of the switchover

3.------------- Certificate switchover --------------

3a. Repack Android installer using the new CA certificates

4. Repack default installer purging the old CA

Hope it helps.

--
Daniele ALBRIZIO -
daniele.albrizio AT units.it