cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] CAT Linux script

Re: [[cat-users]] CAT Linux script

  • From: Tomasz Wolniewicz <twoln AT umk.pl>
  • To: Jérôme BERTHIER <Jerome.Berthier AT inria.fr>, cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] CAT Linux script
  • Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 15:13:16 +0100

Hi Jérôme,
   you are correct in your analysis. It is, in principle possible, to
limit the profile setting to the user context and to make it encrypted
in the user keystore. I have spent quite a bit of time trying to get it
work, but the support for this turned out to be quite bad. You can see
that the code has a get_system function with a comment that this is
meant exactly for recognising distros that would handle password
encryption well, but we dropped the idea of adding this to the code and
it is simply impossible to follow the distros and test which one will
behave.

The current system default for network profile creation is to use
system-wide settings and we decided to limit ourselves to this as well.
The main goal of CAT is to make the connection establishment safe, if
the user's machine is compromised, the entire security is pretty much
screwed anyway.

Yours
Tomasz

--
Tomasz Wolniewicz

twoln AT umk.pl
http://www.home.umk.pl/~twoln

Uczelniane Centrum Informatyczne Information&Communication Technology Centre
Uniwersytet Mikolaja Kopernika Nicolaus Copernicus University,
pl. Rapackiego 1, Torun pl. Rapackiego 1, Torun, Poland
tel: +48-56-611-2750 fax: +48-56-622-1850 tel kom.: +48-693-032-576