cat-users - [[cat-users]] Problems with "eduroam"

[[cat-users]] Problems with "eduroam"

  • From: Gwo-Huey Ling <G.Ling AT mdx.ac.uk>
  • To: "cat-users AT lists.geant.org" <cat-users AT lists.geant.org>
  • Subject: [[cat-users]] Problems with "eduroam"
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 15:42:03 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-GB, en-US
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99

Hi

There is a section of your document “A guide to eduroam CAT for institution administrators” that discusses Media Properties and their configuration, however, the bit that I am having difficulty with is

“whether or not to configure wired ethernet for IEEE 802.1X
Some eduroam participants also use IEEE 802.1X for wired ethernet ports in their premises, e.g. in dormitories. Administrators can specify that the installers should include wired ethernet eduroam configuration on the client devices. This is currently supported for the Windows installers and Apple OS X. Windows installers will provoke a UAC prompt when wired support is turned on.”

We do not use 802.1x. I would appreciate you informing me how I can turn it off as the client install program seems to have this feature enabled by default. The only option that is available to me under Media Options is to “enable” it which starts Windows10 UAC as stated. Also, and of more concern is that an error (Credentials installation problem) pops up when it is trying to install credentials for wired. Or is this part of the normal install of the eduroam client?

Many thanks

Gwo

Middlesex Uni Logo

Gwo-Huey Ling

Network Architect

Computer & Communication Systems Service

Middlesex University

The Burroughs

London, NW4 4BT

Tel: +44 (0)20 8411 5381