cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] Eduroam iOS 11

Re: [[cat-users]] Eduroam iOS 11

  • From: Jethro R Binks <jethro.binks AT strath.ac.uk>
  • To: cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] Eduroam iOS 11
  • Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2017 23:24:41 +0100 (BST)

(Slight hijack of thread, and apologies if it is considered outwith the
remit of this list but I welcome the views of this community on these
issues that I think many of us face).

It has been an interesting time. Just a few weeks into the academic year,
not only have we had reported problems with iOS 11 (but maybe things got
better by the time of 11.0.3?), we've also had issues reported with
clients with Windows 10 Creators Update too.

There were some earlier reports that mainly EAP-TTLS (or was it EAP-TLS?)
was affected, but I saw this from the Cloudpath people earlier on another
list which suggests there may be PEAP bugs too (I don't know what these
"workarounds" are):

""
From: Richard Nedwich
<Rich.Nedwich AT BROCADE.COM>
To:
WIRELESS-LAN AT LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU

I just wanted to convey some information from our engineering team.

Thanks,
Rich

Windows 10 PEAP/TTLS Issues: In Windows 10 Creators Update, Microsoft
introduced new bugs for PEAP and TTLS. While it took a while to find
work-arounds for these issues, we were able to publish work-arounds.
Microsoft has chosen to not fix these issues in the Fall Update and we’ll
publish a new wizard to provide the same work-around to the Fall Update
before it is publicly released. Based on this experience, it appears that
Microsoft is reducing/removing its testing support for password-based
Wi-Fi.
""

Anyone know more?

I thought we'd got to a point where "modern" clients behaved pretty well
and 802.1X support was close to pretty routine and comoditised, but it
seems client issues still plague us and we haven't reached that panacea
yet. Is 802.1X still a niche technology in most of the world? Is it used
much in corporate networks, or are they still stuck with PSKs and portals?
Is 802.1X support just not exercised enough in clients so it gets poorer
testing and attention?

I suppose we'll just have to continue to tell our helpdesk functions that
there are still problems that we can't do very much about for these
platforms if a further update/patch check doesn't fix ... but of course
that looks bad on us. As far as the end user is concerned "our rubbish
eduroam" doesn't work but their home wifi is just fine, so it can't be
their device.

I have mixed views about the observation: "it appears that Microsoft is
reducing/removing its testing support for password-based Wi-Fi." While
I've never been entirely comfortable with password-based wifi,
particularly where it is not a wireless-specific password/token, neither
do I presently have resource to go about creating what's needed for
alternatives, like a wifi-specific service password or an infrastructure
to issue TLS certs for clients. Are there any hints of an industry
(MS/Apple/Andoid) push to deprecate using passwords and use certs instead?

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks, Network Manager,
Information Services Directorate, University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK

The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body, registered in
Scotland, number SC015263.