cat-users - [[cat-users]] Connecting to eduroam?

[[cat-users]] Connecting to eduroam?

  • From: John Hernlund <hernlund AT gmail.com>
  • To: cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: [[cat-users]] Connecting to eduroam?
  • Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 12:01:09 +0200

Dear Géant,

I am a professor at the Tokyo Institute of Technology in Japan, and I travel the world often. Every time I am in Europe people suggest I obtain an “eduroam” account, but I don’t know anything about it. However, it has now become so common at European universities, that there is practically no other way for visitors to connect to the internet while visiting these institutions. So I really would like to have an account, although it seems to be very difficult to obtain an account.

First, I went to the eduroam installer at https://cat.eduroam.org but I found that my home institution was not listed among the options (see attached screen shot). Japan didn’t even appear on the list of countries!

However, elsewhere I found that Japan is supposedly a participating country in eduroam, even though it does not appear on the list of installer options at cat.eduroam.org. And my home institution is specifically listed as a participant in “eduroam” on the following page: http://www.eduroam.jp/participants/siteinfo.html

So…what can I do? The website offers no useful information, so I must resort to e-mailing you directly.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Sincerely,

John Hernlund
Professor and Vice Director