cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] Problems connecting to eduroam with W10 when updated to Creators Update

Re: [[cat-users]] Problems connecting to eduroam with W10 when updated to Creators Update

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: Andres Diaz-Gil <andres.diazgil AT uam.es>, cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] Problems connecting to eduroam with W10 when updated to Creators Update
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2017 13:36:28 +0200

Hello,

> I write to you because we have noticed that me and some coworkers in my
> institution are unable to contact eduroam once we updated our systems to
> W10 Creators Update. We've been using eduroam in W10 for months without
> an issue till Creators Update was installed.
> We have tried to remove eduroam an install it again using the CAT
> Eduroam installers but no success so far. The only message it shows is:
> "Unable to connect to eduroam"
>
> We've contacted the respectives support centers of our institutions (we
> have detected the issue for accounts in two different institutions) and
> they seemed to know nothing about the issue.
>
> Have you detected similar issues?

Indeed, yesterday and earlier today on this very mailing list we
discussed this exact topic. If only you were subscribed ;-)

The issue seems to be around the built-in EAP-TTLS supplicant in W10
Creators Update.

If you have a chance of enabling (and giving priority in CAT to) PEAP,
the issue likely goes away.

Given that we are able to replicate the issue without using CAT
installers - just built-in clickety-click - this is not directly a
shortcoming of CAT, rather Windows 10.

Nevertheless, we are looking into the situation. If the built-in
supplicant really is broken, we may need to supply the GEANTlink
third-party supplicant in our installers instead. We've had early
reports that this fixes the issue.

If you want to give that a try, please download the Windows 7 CAT
installer and run the executable in compatibility mode (that way, the
installer is fooled to think it runs on Windows 7; but it does its job
on Win 10 Creators Update just fine we are told).

Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche
de la Recherche
2, avenue de l'Université