cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] typo in french + access from RFC1918 IP address

Re: [[cat-users]] typo in french + access from RFC1918 IP address

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: Dominique Margot <Dominique.Margot AT uclouvain.be>, eduroam CAT Feedback <cat-users AT lists.geant.org>, dominique.launay AT renater.fr
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] typo in french + access from RFC1918 IP address
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2017 16:36:54 +0200

Hello,

> After downloading a CAT tool, in the french page beginning with "
> Bienvenue à bord de la communauté des utilisateurs eduroam! ", there are
> some typos:
>
> de vous connecter à internet -> de vous connecter à *Internet*
> et autre lieux autour du monde. -> et *autres* lieux autour du monde.
> tout ce que vous avez a faire -> tout ce que vous avez *à* faire
> ou pour totu autre renseignement, -> ou pour *tout* autre renseignement,

I'm cc'ing the French translation coordinator for CAT. The next version
of CAT (and earliest opportunity to pick up the changes) will not be
before another six months probably.

> one possible improvement, but I understand it is more work:
> de Université catholique de Louvain, -> de *l'*Université catholique de

This is indeed "impossible". Changing sentences dynamically depending on
grammar rules for a variable content is beyond the scope of a simple
technical translation.

If there is a way to construct the sentence so that it's grammatically
correct regardless of the organisation name then that would of course
fix the issue.

For example, I could imagine:

de *l'organisation* $FOO

then irrespective of $FOO, the sentence would be correct?

> Is it allowed to download all eduroam CAT files to a local server in our
> university, so that those files will be available to a RFC1918 IP
> address space ? (before being authenticated by eduroam servers)
>
> How do others institutions handle that problem ? some hints ?

That's perfectly allowed.

Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche
de la Recherche