cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] RADIUS Server Certificate Renewal - MS NPS 2012R2 + private CA certificate renewal - MS Certificate Authority

Re: [[cat-users]] RADIUS Server Certificate Renewal - MS NPS 2012R2 + private CA certificate renewal - MS Certificate Authority

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: cat-users AT lists.geant.org, sjohnson AT scuhs.edu
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] RADIUS Server Certificate Renewal - MS NPS 2012R2 + private CA certificate renewal - MS Certificate Authority
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2017 16:31:54 +0100

Hello,

you can upload the new and old CA simultaneously to CAT. On all
supported client OSes, both will be installed and both will be marked
trusted.

It's a very good idea to do this as early as possible so that every
newly configured user gets the new certificate ahead of time. They will
then not even notice the change of server cert from old to new trust root.

There is only one fraction of CAT-supported client OSes which does not
support multiple root CAs: Android versions < 7.1.

For those, only one CA will be installed (I don't recall the ordering in
the CAT interface; to be sure you could create a profile just for
Android and only load the desired one into that profile).

Android 7.1 finally got its support for multiple CAs and I think the app
already supports that (Gareth to correct me if I'm wrong).

But we all know the update situation on Android and it is thus naive to
think that this problem will wither out in anything less than five
years. :-( I'm afraid there's little we can do about it.

--
Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche

Tel: +352 424409 1