cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] RADIUS Server Certificate Renewal - MS NPS 2012R2 + private CA certificate renewal - MS Certificate Authority

Re: [[cat-users]] RADIUS Server Certificate Renewal - MS NPS 2012R2 + private CA certificate renewal - MS Certificate Authority

  • From: Daniele Albrizio <daniele AT albrizio.it>
  • To: Scott Johnson <sjohnson AT scuhs.edu>
  • Cc: cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] RADIUS Server Certificate Renewal - MS NPS 2012R2 + private CA certificate renewal - MS Certificate Authority
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2017 11:58:56 +0100

The following is not an answer but is my case study.
Put only CA chain certificates in CAT.
If you are not changing the CA chain, but only the server certificate, you do not need to modify anything.
I needed to change the CA chain so I
 got the new radius certificate on year in advance so I could test it using unlang in free radius to load a per-calling-station-id rap.conf instance using the new chain.

Then I created an Android CAT profile with old CA chain since Google Android is the widest spread client we have and it does not accept multiple CA per network profile since I guess 4 years of bagging in Google lists.

Then I added the new CA chain to the default installer so that new installations should be ready.

I then planned the D-Day to switch the radius server chain and certificate and noticed it to all our users.

At the D-Day I switched the chain in the android profile and removed from the default profile.

This way only Android and profiles installed more than one year before (very few) stopped working.

Remember to flag the new CA in the windows group policy for wireless and wired profile in advance and test the presence of the complete chain in a freshly installed and joined client.