cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] Eduroam CAT 1.1.3 has issues with Windows 10 anniversary edition

Re: [[cat-users]] Eduroam CAT 1.1.3 has issues with Windows 10 anniversary edition

  • From: Tomasz Wolniewicz <twoln AT umk.pl>
  • To: "Phillip M. Immordino" <pimmo AT Princeton.EDU>, "cat-users AT lists.geant.org" <cat-users AT lists.geant.org>
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] Eduroam CAT 1.1.3 has issues with Windows 10 anniversary edition
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2016 21:48:29 +0200

Hi,

  The Princeton University CAT profile is quite unusual. It has 26 certificates loaded.

After eliminating the duplicates we are left a single root (Add Trust) and two intermediate CAs and  3 server certificates issued by the lowest level CA.

The configuration should just contain single instances of the three CAs providing the full path and no server certificates.

Still these imperfections do not explain why the profile does not work.

The fact that CAT allows loading multiple identical certificates is definitely a bug, but again I do not see why this should really matter. The Windows installer seems to behave reasonably.

I would suggest running reachability tests from the CAT admin interface, they might uncover the reason, perhaps the CAT settings do not match the actual server configuration. CAT reachability tests will be able to detect that.

Hoping to find more info, I have taken a look at the Princeton University eduroam help and saw that it does not mention any security settings which is clearly wrong making your users' vulnerable in case on MITM attacks. CAT profiles should take care of that of course.

Cheers

Tomasz